Friday 15 April 2011

Vida's Inky Lovelies

Vida Vega was one of the nice folk exhibiting with us at the show in Aim Gallery and of the pieces she had on show, the bit that had me crying over my empty wallet was a cute little framed still taken from her first commissioned short "mi'au, myau"for the "Languages through Lenses" project run by the European Commission. Any animation that shows an effortless symbiosis between handmade and computer tools always gets me excited, and Vida's work does that in ways I covet. I think because I often feel one of the few barriers with animation is the difficulty of retaining spontaneity in the work; everything has to be premeditated to a degree and fresh mark making often emulated rather then just.. being. I tried animating in charcoal once in an attempt to overcome this, but I think Vida's work hits the mark far better. She did this apt little tutorial explaining her animation process for Digital Arts magazine, totally worth a look I'd love to give it a go.. just as soon as I can think of a subject worth animating and have a few days spare to do it..

And on that note will be leaving you with this little vid as I now need to go wash my jeans thanks to an inelegant effort to aim a ham sandwich at my mouth.

Oh and her website is www.vidavega.com fly my pretties! 

No comments:

Post a Comment