Friday 5 October 2012

Pondering

I have been aching for a long time to get back into producing my own self-indulgent animation but like many folk looking to make something personally relevant, I find it very hard to generate and hone in on a theme that really makes my fingers twitch to get started. Much as Anselm Kiefer said in 1990,

"The works are but aspects or traces of a theme that in human concepts, in language is not representable. All of painting, but also literature and everything that it is connected to, is always but a circling around something unsayable, around a black hole or a crater, whose centre one cannot penetrate."

In an attempt to figure out how to make sense of the abstracts in my head and find a unifying thread to work with, I began to collect images for the last few years, that I felt gravitated towards this sparkly shadowy creature that lurked in my head but refused to tell me its name. 

Funnily enough, I started to realize what I wanted to pursue when I saw the handing over ceremony from London to Rio for the upcoming 2016 Olympic Ceremony. It reminded me of this musician Mitar Subotic and the track Sereia (Mermaid) When I hear that kind of music, it instantly conjures up in my head, lavish jungles dripping with iridescent jewel-like dew drops and tropical flowers, nocturnal creatures and curling knotted plants. The images below hover around the realm I'm talking about. When I connected my treasure trove of images with that music, I realized I knew what I was after in an atmospheric sense, I just lack a theme. I have recently had an idea of what I want it to be about, but it requires further stewing. 

"Product of the Earth During the Pliocene Period" Unknown Artist, 1859

  "Temple of Flora" Robert John Thornton, 1807

"Prada Bloom" James Jean, 2007

"Tiger in a Tropical Storm" Henry Rousseau, 1891

"Pools of Light" Apak, 2010

"Edwin and His Cat" Edwin Ushiro, 1990


No comments:

Post a Comment